Healthy Honey Cake
4 flax eggs=1/4 cups flax meal + ¾ cup water, mix together and let sit for 5 minutes
½ cup oil (grapeseed, coconut, or your choice-we use grape seed, it’s much lower in saturated fat than coconut)
½ cup unsweetened applesauce
1½ cups of honey (we use buckwheat-it has a far superior flavor and color)
3 cups of flour-we used 260 g of all purpose gluten free
4 tsp baking powder
1 tbsp ground psyllium husk (not totally necessary, but can help to hold cake together better)
1 heaping tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ginger
½ tsp allspice
¼ tsp nutmeg
½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
1 cup decaf coffee
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Combine dry ingredients
- Add flax eggs and applesauce in mixing bowl.
- Combine oil, honey, and coffee in a measuring cup.
- Alternate adding dry ingredients and wet to the mixing bowl. Add shot of whiskey
- Wrap the bottom of a tube pan with tin foil (to prevent leaking from the pan) and place on a baking sheet.
- Pour batter into un-greased tube pan. Bake for 15 minutes at 350, reduce heat to 300 and continue to cook until top cracks and knife inserted comes out clean, about 60 minutes.
- Let cool for 15 minutes, and then invert, and allow to cool all the way
- Enjoy and may you have a sweet and healthy year (without lots of refined sugar)
Original recipe from: http://www.gardenfreshfoodie.com/healthy-desserts/plant-based-gluten-free-honey-cake/
Recipe by Ara Wiseman